City of Chamblee
Community Engagement Specialist
The Community Engagement Specialist is an energetic, flexible, creative, project-orientated professional who, under general supervision, creates, drives, and manages communications, marketing, and public relations plans, programs, and strategies across multiple digital and traditional platforms. This position works closely and collaboratively with City staff to implement and support the City’s branding, marketing, communications, and development initiatives. This position also is responsible for performing community engagement to promote, support, and integrate community involvement into the City.
Essential Job Functions
- Designs, develops, and implements communications projects, programs, and annual outreach plans to ensure consistency in message and support of organizational goals and objectives (including but not limited to addressing constituent engagement within Chamblee’s diverse communities).
- Conceives, writes, edits, and produces original, engaging content for email campaigns, e-news, outreach activities, advertising, and marketing materials. Prepares outreach material such as Power Point presentations and visual aids for speaking engagements, seminars, and exhibits.
- Contributes content and design for the City of Chamblee’s print publications, website, and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Instagram, Snap Chat, Nextdoor, etc. (which includes but is not limited to: identifying informational needs and developing content, ensuring timely posting of news and events, developing and implementing guidelines). Uses analytics to drive and develop new content. Ensures quality, consistency, and accuracy of content.
- Collaborates to deliver communication initiatives, programs, and projects through analysis, planning, creation, and development of materials/content. Manages project budgets.
- Responds orally or in writing to inquiries and provides information for the public on services, facilities, and programs.
- Attends community meetings, events, councils, roundtables, committees, etc. as assigned.
- Conducts and compiles monthly/quarterly/annual satisfaction surveys.
- Works collaboratively with the Public Relations Manager and City leadership to implement strategy for delivery outreach and education activities; prepares reports and records about the City’s education and outreach activities, progress, status and other special reports for the City and/or outside organizations.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with City officials, City staff, departmental staff, key stakeholders, project leads/managers, community leaders, Home Owners Associations, religious or faith-based groups, governmental agencies, school organizations, the media, and varying members of the general public to develop materials, content, programs, and events.
- Coordinates and manages brochures and materials for program projects, special events as well as printing of various brochures, articles, and schedules; coordinates distribution of printed material.
- Determines target markets to expand audience base; creates, updates, and produces communications materials, marketing plans, and other collateral from concept to completion.
- Edits or rewrites existing copy; reads and proofs materials for accuracy, style, consistency, voice, and readability, recommending and making changes when necessary.
- Plans, develops, and implements strategies, programs, and events to facilitate community involvement with City departments, programs, and initiatives.
- Attends after-hours or weekend events as needed.
- Organizes and maintains project archival system to provide for ease of access and use.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or closely related field and 3-5 years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear in English and Spanish, at minimum, to perform essential functions.
- Experience in gathering information/interview, write, edit, and produce news-worthy stories related to City of Chamblee accomplishments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of writing in AP style, media relations, pitching stories, content development and copy editing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic communication and marketing principles.
- Experience in project management: managing multiple projects simultaneously; working effectively and efficiently with individuals and teams within a diverse environment.
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills, as well as oral/written/media presentation.
- Evidence of social media campaign development, implementation, and knowledge of online social media platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Experience with content management systems.
- Experience with graphic design and layout using Adobe CC tools.
- Experience in prioritizing, multi-tasking, and completing projects in a time-sensitive manner.
- Experience in creative and critical thinking skills, goal setting, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of MS office.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (10%); required to drive for varying lengths of time and distances to perform work (10%)
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (15%)
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
Qualified applicants should submit applications and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org