GALEO Announces the 2018 GOTV Video Contest
Atlanta, Georgia – September 7, 2018 – The Latino vote has become more impactful than ever when it comes to deciding elections. In Georgia alone, there are now over 240,000 Latinx voters, and those voters are shown to be far more civically engaged when compared to the national average. In fact, Latinas in GA led the way in November 2016 with a 73% voter participation rate!
Latinos in Georgia vote. All it takes is a little push! That’s why in anticipation for the upcoming general elections in November, GALEO is launching a Get Out the Vote video contest. The contest is designed to help increase awareness about the upcoming elections in November and to energize voters to go out to the polls!
GALEO challenges everyone to record a short, creative, and engaging video that highlights why it’s so important to vote! Videos may be in English, Spanish or both. To be considered for participation, all entries must:
- Not exceed 2 minutes in length
- Be nonpartisan in nature
- Be published on a social media platform like Facebook, Instagram, or YouTube and use the hashtags #GALatinoVote #iamGALEO #EstamosAqui
- Be emailed in link format to email@example.com along with all entry forms
Deadline for video submissions has been extended through October 15, 2018.
All eligible entries received by the deadline will be judged equally on the following criteria:
- clarity of message,
- accuracy of content,
- potential to draw attention to Get Out the Vote initiatives,
- and popularity based on the number of views, shares, comments and likes the video receives. The cutoff date for views, shares, comments and likes will be November 1, 2018 at 6:00PM EST, but all submissions and forms must be received by October 15th. The 1st place winner will receive a grand prize of $1000.00 and have their video published on our website and circulated as part of our Get Out the Vote Campaign.
The winners will be announced on November 2, 2018.
Here are some useful GOTV tips that can be incorporated into the videos:
- Early voting begins on October 15th through November 2nd
- You can verify the status of your voter registration or your voting precincts at anytime by visiting: https://www.mvp.sos.ga.gov/MVP/mvp.do
- In Gwinnett County, precincts MUST provide assistance in Spanish.
- In the rest of Georgia, anyone that doesn’t speak English can bring a translator to assist them to assist in voting