Date Posted: 2/15/2018 Deadline to Apply: 3/14/2018
Submission Requirements: Please submit cover letter, resume, writing sample, and 3 recent work references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Place Applicant for Program Officer Position in the subject line of email.
Southern Partners Fund (“SPF”), founded in July 1998, is a public foundation created and governed by experienced grassroots community leaders. Our mission is: to serve rural southeastern communities and organizations seeking social, economic and environmental justice by providing them with financial resources, technical assistance and training, and access to systems of information and power.
Title: Program Officer
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA* Status: Exempt
Pay Range: $42,000 – $62,500 Commensurate with Experience
As a member of the SPF’s senior management and leadership team, the Program Officer plays a key role in shaping the future of SPF. The right candidate will develop and manage several grant portfolios in accordance with SPF grant making policies and strategies and is responsible for leadership and support for SPF’s program services. She/he will manage SPF’s grant making cycles and ensure that continuous improvement becomes integrated into the organization.
Key responsibilities will involve your participation in grantee events, special projects and nurturing relationships within the philanthropic community. You will be the primary staff to the board’s philanthropic operations committee and establishes consistent, ongoing communications with the grantees of SPF. She/he assists the Executive and/or Assistant Director with designing and implementing SPF’s fund development/communications strategies, including cultivating individual prospective donors, reaching out to prospective foundations and corporate partners, writing proposals and reports, and contributing to SPF’s newsletter.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Arts in relevant field required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit management required; proven track record of creating and directing a comprehensive program department preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years working within the philanthropic community including responsibility for strategic grant making.
- Commitment toward advancing a social justice agenda in the South.
- Broad knowledge of and experience within national and regional philanthropic communities.
- Willingness and ability to travel within and outside the region.
- Computer literate; familiar with database management systems, to include but not limited to GIFTS, Windows 2000, Microsoft Office, and Internet usage.
- Strong writing and communications skills.
The most critical responsibilities for this position are:
- Managing the foundations grant portfolios to include the review/decision making processes for the:
- The Regular Grant Cycle
- The Justice Fund for Disaster Relief and Renewal
- The Discretionary Fund
- The Special Initiative Fund
- Manages and ensures the accuracy of grantee records/data in SPF’s grantmaking software GIFTS
- Work in partnership with accounting department to issue grantee awards and contracts.
- Conducts site visits as needed for the grants review committee(s)
- Prepares and presents funding recommendations to staff and the Board
- Drafts and edits detailed reports on grant proposals
- Provides technical assistance to grant applicants as needed
- Assists in the planning and running foundations annual events/meetings
- Facilitates and manages grantee convening and/or gatherings
- Follows up on past grants and submitted evaluation reports
- Works on special initiative projects/programs developed by the foundation and its philanthropic partners
- Attends events and programs related to SPF grantee partners and philanthropy
- Work with SPF grantees and Philanthropic partners to stay abreast of current developments and/or issues occurring in the southeast region
- Serve on boards, committees, regional/national networks to raise awareness and resources for SPF grantee partners in the southeast
- Conducts research of subject areas of interest to the Foundation as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualities Desired
- 7-10 years nonprofit leadership/management and organization development experience
- Exceptional oral, written and analytical skills
- Comfort in reviewing and developing budgets and analyzing financial statements
- Creativity, flexibility, and ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail and accuracy and ability to meet deadlines
- Capacity to work independently as well as openness to collaboration
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Please submit cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and 3 recent work references to email@example.com. Place Applicant for Program Officer Position in the subject line of email.