FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jerry Gonzalez, GALEO, email@example.com, 678.691.1086, for media inquiries.
Polo Vargas, GALEO, firstname.lastname@example.org, 770.558.2236, for contest questions.
(Norcross, Georgia) – January 29, 2021 –
The GALEO Leadership Council has announced details for the 14th Annual Cesar Chavez Essay Contest. The intention of the contest is to increase awareness of the continual plight of farm workers and their contributions to America while honoring civil rights legend Cesar Chavez.
Chavez’s leadership was critical to organizing farm workers and founding what is today known as the United Farm Workers union. Chavez remains one of the foremost Latino leaders in American history. His birthday is recognized as a state holiday in California, Colorado and Texas, and GALEO supports the movement to create a national holiday in honor of Chavez.
High school students and adults residing in the state of Georgia are encouraged to participate and submit their essays for consideration in one of three categories. Categories include:
- Adult category (essays submitted in Spanish or English)
- High school student category (essays submitted in Spanish or English)
- ESOL high school student category (essays submitted in English by ESOL students)
Deadline for submissions is February 28, 2021.
All eligible entries received by the deadline will be judged equally on the following criteria: clarity of message, creativity, accuracy of content, potential to draw attention to policies which improve the lives of farm workers, and conventions of writing an essay.
First, second, and third place winners from each category will receive prizes accordingly:
- 1st Place Winners – $200 Amazon Gift Card
- 2nd Place Winners – $75 Gift Card
- 3rd Place Winners – $50 Gift Card
Visit bit.ly/galeochavez2021 for official rules, regulations, and registration, as well as to submit your essay electronically.
If you choose to mail your essay instead, please print out, fill out the registration form, and mail the registration form with your essay. You can find the printable registration form here:
“Cesar Chavez is an American hero, and we want Georgians to learn more about his legacy,” said Jerry Gonzalez, CEO of GALEO. “This contest helps educate students and adults alike and brings attention to the importance of farmworkers in our state,” he added.
The Cesar Chavez Essay contest is coordinated and led by the GALEO Leadership Council. The GALEO Leadership Council is comprised of alumni of the GALEO Institute for Leadership and GALEO members statewide.
MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM that must accompany any essay.
These are the essay topics (Choose One):
- Why are farm workers important in Georgia?
- Cesar Chavez & Rev. Martin L. King, Jr. both believed in peaceful nonviolent protests. Why was this ideology important to the civil rights movement?
- How has Cesar Chavez influenced your life and what impact will his work have on your future?
- Why should we have a national holiday honoring Cesar Chavez?
- How did Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta both ensure that the United Farm Workers union was a success story?