GALEO Latino Community Development Fund is Seeking a Community Organizer
Location: Norcross, Georgia
Reports to: Program Manager for Civic Engagement
Posted: August 12, 2021
GALEO’s mission is to increase civic engagement and leadership of the Latino/Hispanic community across Georgia.
Vision: GALEO strives for a better Georgia where the Latino community is engaged civically and its contributions and concerns are recognized.
Core Beliefs: Inclusive, Non-Partisan, Diversity, Responsive
GALEO was instrumental in increasing the Latino/Hispanic vote in Georgia in 2020 by more than 70%. GALEO founded the longest serving leadership organization for Latino/Hispanic leaders in Georgia, training more than 725 people in 23 cohorts across the state of Georgia, each cohort invest 89 hours in leadership and development training.
For more information, please visit https://galeo.org.
GALEO is working together in a coordinated manner with our allies to ensure increased civic engagement within the Latino community. Civic engagement includes: registering to vote, being educated about the voting process, voting, becoming a U.S. citizen, being counted in the Census, and advocacy for the needs and interests of the Latinx community and allied communities. Position requires the ability to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, and is considered a full-time position (40 hours per week minimum). Great growth opportunity with GALEO for recent college graduates. DeKalb County is one of the anchor geography for this position and knowledge of the county would be strongly preferred.
- Building and coordinating a team of canvassers in a specific assigned county
- Meeting aggressive recruitment and contact goals in phone banking, text banking, mailers, canvassing in communities, and any other activities designated by GALEO.
- Leading meetings, training sessions, contactless canvassing (literature drops), phone banks, text banks, canvass teams in communities, and other field efforts to support GALEO goals.
- Data entry of field work will be essential and keeping timely and accurate reports will be required frequently in various databases.
- Managing and working with paid part-time canvassers across the state and assigned geographic areas by county.
- Working with the Program Manager and other GALEO staff to ensure that field team goals are being met.
- Maintain computer files, records and contact lists in a consistent and organized manner.
- Provide strategic and technical campaign support including field, communications, and administrative to meet the campaign goals and priorities of active civic engagement campaigns.
- Implement and be held accountable for metrics-driven Field Programs (Voter Registration, Petition Gathering, Census, GOTV, etc.).
- Other duties/projects assigned by the GALEO staff, including Chief Executive Officer, are to be done efficiently and professionally.
Experience and Skills Required:
- Preferred college level education. (Associates, Bachelors, Masters, etc.)
- Required to work some weekends and evenings; no exceptions.
- Must have their own reliable transportation.
- Must be fluent in both English and Spanish. Must be able to translate text and communicate effectively in both languages, written and oral.
- Knowledge and experience within DeKalb County communities strongly preferred.
- Some electoral, community or union organizing experience. Passionate about making a significant impact in the Latinx community.
- Ability to communicate effectively, work well with others, work well under pressure, be detail and goal oriented.
- Strong interpersonal skills; diplomatic and professional approach to problem solving – ability to think outside the box.
- Must have social media skills and be comfortable in all mediums.
- Ideal candidates will have excellent time management, project management and organizational skills.
- Some experience in the non-profit sector is preferred.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced & flexible schedule.
- Must be a self-starter and demonstrate teamwork.
- Must be comfortable working independently.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to grow with the GALEO Latino Community Development Fund.
- Knowledge of Latino community issues.
- Must demonstrate commitment to Latino community and issues.
- Because of extensive work in our community, the person in this role must be COVId-19 vaccinated and provide documented proof of vaccination.
- Computer skills are critical. Ability to work with MS Windows and/or Mac Office programs: MSWord, MSExcel, MSOutlook, MSPowerPoint, and various internet applications and social media such as Facebook.com, YouTube.com, Twitter, Instagram and WordPress. Must be comfortable or able to learn to work with website updates and HTML code.
Salary and Benefits:
GALEO offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Full range of competitive benefits are included at this link too. The position is for full time (40 hours) and is hourly. Hourly pay rate to start ranges from: $16.50-$18 per hour, based upon relevant experience.
Please send the following in an email:
- an email cover letter
- an attached resume
- list of at least three (3) work related references
to Jeniffer Chow, Program Manager at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
This is an entry-level position with the potential for growth. The position is also non-exempt (hourly). Pay would be based upon education and experience.
GALEO Latino Community Development Fund is an equal opportunity employer and encourage people of color, low-income people, women, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQI people to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Resumes and the corresponding requirements listed above will be accepted until the position is filled.