Position Number: 21006801
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Gainesville
Job Close Date: 11/04/2019
Salary Minimum: $39,500
General Summary: Click Here for Official Job Description
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a GED Facilitator & Curriculum Coordinator, HEP on the Gainesville campus. The GED Facilitator & Curriculum Coordinator, HEP will be under the general supervision of the HEP Associate Director. The bilingual (Spanish & English) GED Facilitator & Curriculum Coordinator for the High School Equivalency Program (HEP) at the University of North Georgia will teach, facilitate, tutor and implement academic student services to help students attain their GED. HEP is a federally funded program designed to support students from migrant and seasonal farm-worker background to obtain a GED. The program assists with both financial assistance and academic support services, with the goal of attaining a GED and sequentially, obtaining a job, enroll in post-secondary education or enroll in the military. The GED facilitator and curriculum coordinator will facilitate/instruct GED classes, as well as, create, lead and implement individualized student learning plans and behavioral action plans to ensure student’s GED attainment. They will maintain academic student data, maintain program’s curriculum and provide professional development to the PT GED Facilitators as needed. They’ll be expected to work a flexible schedule and work Tuesday/Thursday evenings and on Saturdays or as needed to support program’s needs. Limited local travel may be required to help with enrollment, GED facilitator and retention purposes. Position re-appointment is contingent upon reaching assigned goals, successfully meeting all job responsibilities and the continuation of the grant on a yearly basis. Start date will be on or near January 2, 2020 with a salary of $39,500 a year. This position is Grant Funded.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university’s signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG’s Dahlonega Campus. Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The GED Facilitator & Curriculum Coordinator, HEP will:
- Develop lesson plans for GED instruction based on participants’ needs; tailor instructional sessions and provide tutoring for the participants’ academic success; provide these services in English or Spanish. Translate GED content to Spanish as needed.
- Create and lead individual student behavioral and academic action plans. Provide academic and personal coaching for GED attainment as needed. Maintain constant communication with HEP faculty and staff to successfully implement these interventions. Coordinate the HEP curriculum out the GED core content indicators alongside the HEP Associate Director.
- Contribute to student retention by creating positive rapport and have strong communication with students to increase retention and attainment rates.
- Compile and maintain student academic activity records; maintain GED teaching resources and complete other administrative tasks for the academic success of the student and project compliance.
- Provide professional development to the PT instructors and implement effective teaching and learning techniques to increase attainment rates.
- Conduct student outreach when necessary for academic success and participate in student selection. Supervise student staff as needed.
- Contribute to student recruitment and enrollment by knowing program eligibility to promote the program with community. Support and attend all HEP activities, programs and outings to increase enrollment, retention and attainment rates.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have working knowledge about GED testing, GED core curriculum, GED GA policies, and adult education/learning theory.
- Ability to assess participants’ learning needs and develop learning plans.
- Ability to teach and tutor all areas of the GED.
- Ability to use computer/technology, social media and Microsoft office software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Spanish.
- A strong background as a team player.
- Ability to work under minimal direction/supervision to meet deadlines, follow through, and fluctuating workloads.
- Ability to be organized, manage multiple tasks, and prioritize duties.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree OR an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Complete bilingual and bi-literate skills in Spanish and English is required.
- One to two years of experience in serving under-served and disadvantaged students through community outreach, counseling, adult education or direct student engagement in an academic environment is required.
- Teaching experience in English, reading, math, science or success strategies is required.
- Majors in education, human services, communications or related field preferred.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Knowledge of adult learning theory is preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy towards the plight of migrant/seasonal/agricultural work and life is preferred.
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references. This position will require a background check. Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Information: Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.