Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education Job Description
Director of Finance and Operations
Would you like to make a meaningful contribution to Georgia’s students reaching their potential to succeed in school and in life? If so, you may have a future with the Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education, a one-of-a-kind, dynamic, small team-oriented organization that is making a bold impact on education policy and practice.
The Georgia Partnership serves as the go-to source for high-quality, unbiased information on Georgia’s most critical education issues. In achieving this, we 1) convene business, education, civic and government leaders; 2) utilize and disseminate credible research; and 3) advocate for best policies and practices, with the goal of ensuring all Georgia students succeed throughout the education pipeline. Our staff strives to live our corporate values of respect, integrity, excellence, and collaboration.
The Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education is seeking a highly motivated, team- oriented Director of Operations and Finance to play a multi-faceted role in supporting the organization’s internal operations including financial management, business operations, and human resource management and development. The Georgia Partnership’s success since its founding in 1992 has hinged partly on its devotion to continuous improvement and a commitment to ensuring all financial and business processes are best in class among nonprofits. It is the finance/operations director’s responsibility to play a critical role in growing and deepening the organization’s impact through a continued emphasis on increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of financial and business processes.
REPORTS TO: President
MANAGES: Operations and Finance Coordinator
The Director of Finance and Operations will engage in the following:
- Financial Management: Oversees all aspects of the Partnership’s financial strategy and planning by –
- Leading the annual operating budget development process ensuring the operating budget aligns with the strategic plan.
- Ensuring effective policies, processes, and internal controls for all aspects of accounting and financial management.
- Developing and overseeing a cash management and investment policy for the organization.
- Leading the development, management, and monitoring of grant, programmatic, and project budgets
- Overseeing the annual audit process
- Overseeing monthly review of financial reports and grant expenditures with CPA
- Ensuring annual/quarterly corporate documentation and tax returns are filed.
- Monitoring organization plans and activities in comparison to restricted grants and providing strategic leadership in ensuring funds are optimized.
- Organization/business operations: Develops and implements systems that increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the Partnership’s work to support our ability to grow and expand impact, and works to progress employee performance and satisfaction to benefit the organization by –
- Ensuring HR functions support the mission and goals of the organization.
- Managing HR functions, including employee recruitment, hiring and onboarding new employees, and professional development.
- Managing compensation and benefit plans, including health, life and dental insurance during annual open enrollment.
- Overseeing payroll, personnel, and benefit records.
- Developing and authorizing contracts on behalf of the organization and overseeing contract management.
- Working closely and transparently with all external partners, including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Coordinating and managing logistics for meeting and event planning.
- Strategic Leadership: Manages the governance structure and processes for making and implementing decisions that will advance the Partnership’s mission and provides the tools leaders, both staff and board members, need to secure vital resources and make sound decisions for the Partnership by –
- Serving as liaison to Partnership’s Board of Directors and ensuring quarterly Board meetings are effective, including overseeing all Board-related communications, planning, and coordination.
- Serving as liaison to the Governance, Audit, Compensation, and Investment committees of the Partnership’s Board of Directors including managing any committee meetings and ensuring Committee chairs are prepared for quarterly Board meetings.
- Representing the organization to financial, legal and HR partners, including financial institutions, funders, auditors, board members, and legal counsel.
- Monitoring organization’s team culture and serving as a strategic thought partner to the President in managing team culture.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Qualities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree minimum; Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of not-for-profit experience in operations, finance, or development.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills necessary.
- Successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-soling skills which support and enable sound decision-making.
- Ability to report to and work from office space in downtown Atlanta, Georgia on a regular basis.
- Commitment to improving society through systemic/institutional change.
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility.
- Ability to joyfully engage and work effectively in a team environment.
- Optimistic, relentless and solutions oriented.
- Sense of humor is a plus!
NEXT STEPS FOR INTERESTED CANDIDATES:
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director of Finance and Operations Application” in the subject line. Position to remain open until filled. No calls please.
Compensation based on experience. This is a full-time position. Health and dental insurance packages are offered. The Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer and nothing in the job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.