GALEO & GALEO Impact Fund Are Seeking a Director of Public Policy and Advocacy
Location: Norcross, Georgia
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Posted: January 8, 2024
GALEO’s mission to increase civic participation by educating and empowering the Latino community and to develop Latino leaders through strategic leadership programs throughout the state of Georgia.
Vision: GALEO strives for a better Georgia where the Latino population is engaged and building community, their contributions are respected, and policy measures reflect their values.
Core Beliefs: Inclusive, Non-Partisan, Diversity, Responsive
GALEO was instrumental in increasing the Latino/Hispanic vote in Georgia in 2020 by more than 70% and will continue to be instrumental in 2024. GALEO founded the longest-serving leadership development program for Latino/Hispanic leaders in Georgia, training more than 800 people in 30 cohorts across Georgia; each cohort invest 89 hours in leadership and development training.
The Director of Public Policy and Advocacy will be supporting work to defend, protect, and advance the rights of Latinx and immigrant communities in Georgia by following, tracking, and mobilizing around local, state, and federal legislation. The Director will help lead advocacy efforts during the Legislative Session at the State Capitol as well as coordinate with national partners around federal policy campaigns. Moreover, the Director’s role will be to help ensure that the diverse Latinx communities in Georgia understand policy issues by engaging in state and local policy analysis and advocacy, and providing trainings and community education.
- Follow, track, and lead advocacy efforts at the State Capitol around issues relevant to Latinx and immigrant communities
- Lead advocacy days at the State Capitol
- Develop strong relationships with legislators and local elected officials
- Participate and develop relationships with coalitions addressing immigration policy issues impacting the Latinx and immigrant communities
- Coordinate joint advocacy campaigns and messaging with coalition partners locally and nationally
- Create and publish regular policy updates for partners, coalitions, and community members through social media and email
- Work with organizations, communities, faith leaders & small businesses to address and receive feedback on policy issues impacting the Latinx and immigrant communities
- Coordinate and participate in community education and training events on immigration policy issues
- Develop content and educational materials to promote policy advocacy efforts
- Monitor and advocate on issues related to Immigrant Rights, Voting Rights, and other policy issues relevant to our communities
- Represent the organization in professional settings
- Other duties as assigned by the organization
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- MPP, MPA, or other relevant advanced degree (applicants with a bachelor’s degree
and strong work experience will also be considered)
- At least 1-2 years of experience with public policy or political organizing (including advocacy, organizing, analysis, and/or research)
- Desire and commitment to communicate with community members, partner organizations, and key stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and civil rights issues
- Ability to work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends) and to travel
domestically on occasion
- Knowledge of and/or interest in the Latinx community
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced work environment and take initiative on related projects
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission, goals, and work of GALEO & the GALEO Impact Fund
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a strategic and efficient fashion
- Familiarity with Georgia’s Latinx and immigrant communities preferred
- Strong administrative, management, facilitation, interpersonal, and leadership development skills
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required
- Access to vehicle and a valid GA driver’s license
Salary & Benefits:
GALEO offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. A full range of competitive benefits is included at this link, too.
Salary range: $65,000.00-$75,000.00, based upon relevant experience.
Please send your resume, a thoughtful cover letter, and a short writing sample on policy issues to email@example.com. The position will be open until filled. Please, no phone calls; if there are questions, please send them to the email address above.
GALEO & the GALEO Impact Fund are equal opportunity employers encouraging people of color, low-income people, women, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQI people to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The application deadline is January 31, 2024, with interviews to follow on a rolling basis and concluded by the end of January 2024. Preferred start date is February/March 2024.